About UsThe European Qualifications Framework (EQF) is an overarching framework which enables European countries to compare their qualifications systems to one another. By doing so, it aims to support mobility of learners and workers across Europe.
The EQF is made up of 8 levels, and acts as a translation device to assist learners and providers across Europe understand how qualifications within the different education systems in the member States relate to each other. It applies to all types of qualifications from those achieved at school, to academic, professional or vocational qualifications awarded at the highest levels.
One of the key aims of the EQF is to contribute to a mobile and flexible European workforce.
The EQF portal provides the results of the national process for relating national qualifications levels to the levels of the EQF. In "Compare Qualifications Frameworks" page, it is possible to compare how national qualifications levels of countries that have already finalised their referencing process are been linked to the EQF.
The Committee aims to:
- establish and maintain a qualifications framework for the development, accreditation and award of professional and vocational qualifications, other than degrees, based on standards of knowledge, skills, competences and attitudes to be acquired by learners;
- promote and facilitate life-long learning access, transfer and progression;
- foster the recognition abroad of professional and vocational certificates awarded in Cyprus.
- The Framework helps you better understand the courses and programmes that lead to qualifications;
- It helps you plan your learning and develop 'progression routes' to follow; and
- It allows you to make the most of the opportunities to transfer credit points between qualifications thus avoiding repetition of learning
National Qualifications Framework of Cyprus
The Council of Ministers approved in 2012 the establishment of the CyQF and the adoption of the 8 levels of the European Qualifications Framework.
The National Committee for the Development and Establishment of a National Qualifications Framework in Cyprus, which consists of the Permanet Secretary of the Ministry of Education, Sport and Youth (President of the Committee), the Permanet Secretary of the Ministry of Labour and Social Insurance and the General Director of the Human Resource Development Authority or their representatives.
The CyQF includes the development and implementation of the procedures that relates to the Quality Assurance and the award of Qualifications. It is also the «tool» for the categorization of the qualifications according to skills, knowledge and competencies.
It operates as a reference framework, enabling the validation and comparability of qualifications and hence the mobility of workers and learners. It is an attempt to encompass the diversity of life long learning, formal, non-formal and informal learning.
The CyQF includes:
- All levels of formal public and private education
- The System of Vocational Qualifications of HRDA
- Informal Learning
- Non-formal learning
- Life Long Learning